Here is a variation on my master custard pie recipe featuring a delicious banana mascarpone filling. I used a local organic banana mascarpone frozen yogurt from Eb & Bean in Portland, OR, but you can substitute using fresh bananas and mascarpone as outlined in the recipe below.
Easy recipe for banana custard pie
- 1 recipe of your favorite pie crust
- 3 cups from 2 pints of Eb & Bean Banana Mascarpone Frozen Yogurt, OR: (3, 4 & 5 below)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- Roll out pie crust, shape into pie shell and place in freezer.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Since I used frozen yogurt, I melted the yogurt and then heated it to scalding. If you are not using a purchased frozen yogurt or ice cream, add your banana, mascarpone, milk, evaporated milk and sugar together and blend at high speed until smooth.
- Whisk together the eggs.
- Heat banana and milk mixture until scalding. Off heat, add mixture 1 tablespoon at a time to eggs until you have added 6 tablespoons. Add egg mixture to the remainder of the banana milk mixture and let cool completely.
- Pour custard mixture into frozen pie shell and bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and bake an additional 40 – 50 minutes. Allow to cool completely and, preferably, chill overnight in refrigerator to fully set the custard.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Custard pie