Delicious buttery and sweet chamomile custard pie
- 1 pie crust rolled out and pressed into shape. Do not par-bake. Instead, freeze while you are making the filling.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup chamomile tea leaves (loose tea)
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- Gently bring milk to boiling. Cool for a minute or two and add tea leaves. Steep for 6 hours and up to overnight.
- Strain tea from milk and bring milk to a rolling boil. Take off heat, add sugar or honey and condensed milk and let sit for a minute or two.
- Whisk eggs together in a small bowl.
- Add hot milk to egg mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, until you’ve added 6 tablespoons of milk to the eggs.
- Add egg mixture to the remainder of the scalded milk and whisk continually for 3 minutes. If your custard breaks and you see little pieces of scrambled egg, run mixture through a blender or food processor at high speed until a smooth mixture has formed, and pour the blended mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the pan.
- Pour custard into pie shell and bake at 400F for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 375F and cook for another 40 – 50 minutes.
Keywords: custard pie, tea, chamomile tea