Hello and welcome to my blog where I share food and travel stories.
I’m an award winning pie baker, independent photographer and writer based in Vancouver, WA (right over the bridge from Portland, Oregon).
I’ve written restaurant reviews for the Portland area over at female foodie and contributed to Eaterpdx and in the past two years have rolled out Portland’s Top 50 Burgers, Top 40 Restaurants, Top Brunches, Top Vegan Restaurants and Top 35 Pizza Joints and yes I ate at every one of them and more.
I am currently available for restaurant and travel photography (web, print and social media use), social media content, recipe development, product photography and portrait photography. I’d love to hear from you at email@example.com.
About this Blog
This blog began in 2013 as a food journal and creative outlet. In 2014 a camera came on board, I won a pie contest and I took time off from my normal career to make some pork pies and learn the basics of DSLR photography. Now a few years later and with a ton of studying, experimentation and of course good eating under my belt, plus a move and a few other things, the blog is back and excited to be back full-time. Writing is my first love and has always come naturally to me. I want to bring my readers the best information on where and what to eat in Portland and Vancouver, and it’s the quirky and tangential historical stories of recipes, restaurants, chefs and home cooks that moves me to share all of it with you. I enjoy conveying the emotional as well as visual richness of any dish or recipe, including life lessons learned plus memories and stories, happy to sad.
More About Me
I’ve always loved to write from the time I was little when I wrote poems for my teachers and class, and read lots of books and record lyrics. My imagination was always pretty active, although when I took up competitive tennis at age 8, my focus went to athletics and academics and I didn’t devote any formal time to creativity. But I did grow up in a family where food was very important — at breakfast we discussed what we’d be eating for lunch and dinner. And my Mom is an amazing home cook. My sister and I were exposed to all kinds of dining from fine to hole-in-the-wall, from a really young age. Strong opinions and idiosycracies around food were encouraged. My Dad still brings his own pickles and a cooler of cold Pepsis to restaurants (casual restaurants).
- I was a nationally ranked junior and collegiate tennis player . . . a long time ago! I don’t play tennis any more but am a huge fan of Roger Federer. Steffi Graf was my all-time favorite player.
- I am a very loyal customer and fan and if I discover your restaurant or a food and I like it it’ll seem like I’m posting for years about it. When I crush, I crush hard.
- I love challenges, especially a cooking challenge. Nothing excites me more than a really baroque and overly complex recipe as long as it’s got the scientific and flavor reason to back it up being that far out.
- When not cooking, writing or photographing you can find me . . . doing dishes and crashing.
- My favorite thing is to take a very old, traditional recipe, learn about its origins and the people who made it and are still making it, and give it a creative, modern or personal tweak.
- I’m an introvert but have more and better friends than ever in my life right now because: Instagram.
- I studied English and Poly Sci in College and for a long time I thought I wanted to be an English teacher or college professor.